Lapsang Old Fashioned
Makes 1 cocktail.
One of our favourite tea cocktails, the smokiness of the Lapsang Souchong adds an extra level of body to an already delicious cocktail. We highly recommend using a well balanced Lapsang Souchong (of course we recommend ours!) as many can be flavoured with an artificial smoke taste, or can be overly smokey which overpowers the whiskey. That said, let's begin!
- 50ml Bourbon (we recommend Buffalo Trace for this recipe)
- 1 teaspoon Agave nectar (or simple sugar syrup)
- 1 teaspoon of Lapsang Souchong tea
- A couple of dashes of Angostura bitter
- Orange peel for garnish
How to make
- Add 1 teaspoon of Lapsang Souchong tea to 50 ml of bourbon and stir to cover the leaves. Leave to steep for at least 45 mins (longer will bring out more nuanced flavours - aim for 2 hours if possible)
- In a cocktail shaker or large glass add ice agave nectar (or simple syrup) and the infused bourbon.
- Stir for around 20-30 seconds to allow the alcohol to get down to a good temperature.
- Strain into a short glass over a block of ice.
- Add a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters.
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel, gently squeezing the peel to release the oils and rubbing around the rim of the glass.